Chicago Sprints – Lincoln Park, IL
July 7-8 2017
The Chicago Sprints is the largest sprint-season regatta in the Midwest, and among the top five largest non-collegiate sprint regattas in the nation. In 2016, the regatta was host to more than 1,000 athletes, fielding entries from 27 clubs from 10 states. Additionally, it is attended by hundreds of casual and dedicated spectators who line the 1000 meter course situated between Lake Shore Drive and the Lincoln Park Zoo. The Chicago Sprints features 1,000-meter, side-by-side, Henley style racing which makes for some great competition.
ROWERS, before you board the bus, the following forms must be up to date:
- Registration forms completed and registration fees paid
- There is an extra fee to attend this regatta. Deadline to register: July 1
- Camp Randall Rowing Club Athlete Code of Conduct signed by rower and parent
- Electronic US rowing waiver signed
- Attendance Policy signed by rower and parent
- Team Travel Medication Form submitted
Location Lincoln Park Boat Club’s boathouse located on the Lincoln Park Lagoon, within Lincoln Park.
Sign up Genius: Help us with foodstuffs, sending team snacks down to the race or on site help. Sign up here.
Weather: Up to date information for Lincoln Park, IL can be found here.
What to Pack:
- Breakfast, Lunch, snacks, and a FULL water bottle for first day
- Entertainment/activities, homework for non-race time: art supplies, Frisbee, book, card games, etc.
- Uniform (required on the water)
- Coxwains: Cox box, watch, fanny pack with paper and pen (in case you need to record race notes)
- Pillow & sleeping bag
- CRRC Spirit Wear
- sun hat
- sun screen
- clothes for cooler weather/rain-gear
- money for race t-shirt (optional)
- assorted clothing for non-racing time
- running shoes
- Swim Suit (there is a pool at the hotel)
- personal hygiene items
Spectators and Fans: CRRC will have coffee for you set up at our tents, and usually someone bakes something delicious to share. Stop by and chat with other CRRC fans. Bring chairs, binoculars, a picnic and a full water bottle. Dogs are NOT allowed at this race. The regatta site is a shaded waterfront in Lincoln Park.
Parking for Spectators: Due to the number of events occurring within Chicago, parking around Lincoln Park will be in high demand. The Lincoln Park Zoo’s lot will likely fill up early both days and street parking around the lagoon could be challenging.
Friday, July 7
- 7:30 AM Board the Bus – Pick ‘n Save parking lot, 3650 University Avenue
- **ROWERS MAY NOT DRIVE THEMSELVES TO THIS, OR ANY, REGATTA**
- 8AM Bus departs, WHEELS ROLL AT 8am SHARP
- Noon – arrive at Lincoln Park/Lincoln Park Zoo; rig and unload trailer
- 1:30 PM Coaches and Coxswains Meeting
- 2PM Racing Starts
- 5PM Racing Ends
- 6:30PM – Arrive at hotel. Best Western Plus – Chicago Hillside 4400 Frontage Road, Hillside, IL 60162
Saturday, July 8
- 6:15AM Buses depart hotel
- 7:30AM Coaches and Coxswains Meeting
- Race all day. Lunch will be provided by CRRC to athletes.
- 6PM Estimated Depart Lincoln Park Lagoon
- 9:30PM, Estimated Arrive in Madison, Pick ‘n Save
- Rowers will call parents approx. 30 minutes prior to arrival. Updates will also be posted on Twitter.
- Melissa Waldvogel 608-575-0031
- Carol Borcherding 608-692-1665
- Mike Waldvogel 608-575-4999
- Wes Spitznagle 608-622-1219
- Phil White 970-819-9705
- Shayla Dvorak 920-242-4821
- Mike Mancusi-Ungaro 610-608-8118
- Grace Peterson 608-279-7434
Click here for the full 2017 Chicago Sprints Itinerary