The Junior rowers are headed to Tennessee!
Friday, April 7 – Saturday, April 15, 2017
Shanghai Resort, La Follette, TN
Before rowers may board the bus rowers must have:
- ALL registration forms completed and registration fees paid by March 1st.
- Athlete Code of Conduct signed by rower and parent by March 11
- Electronic US rowing waiver signed by March 11
- Attendance Policy signed by rower and parent by March 11
- Team Travel Medication Form submitted by March 11
Rowers will miss school on Friday, April 7. Please make arrangements for make-up work and bring homework.
Mobile phone reception is patchy if at all in TN and KY! Chaperones will send Twitter/FB/Instagram updates.
A full PDF of the itinerary can be found here.
What to pack
- Food items for the first day in Tennessee. We ‘crowd source’ this first meal to make it easier on chaperones. Please sign up using the sign up genius link.
- A suggested packing list can be found here.
Rowers should pack two bags:
- A “bus bag” for the ride down that includes a full water bottle, a lunch and some snacks, activities, games and bus entertainment, pillow, and blanket/sleeping bag and anything else you will need on the bus (approx. 10 hour trip).
- A “camp bag” that will not be accessible until we reach Tennessee.
The temperature in Tennessee during early-mid April ranges from 40-80 degrees, so please pack layers for all weather.
- The daytime average weather temperature for La Follette, TN in mid-April is 67 deg. The most recent weather forecast for LaFollette can be found here.
Weds/Thursday April 5 &6
Load trailer and U-Haul: Rowers are required to be at the Boathouse on Wednesday & Thursday from 4:30-6:30pm to help load equipment and boats.
Friday April 7
- 6:30 AM Buses depart from Pick ‘n Save parking lot, 3650 University Avenue. Bring sack lunch on the bus. Buses will stop for bathroom breaks but lunch will be eaten on the bus.
- 8:30 PM (estimated) Arrive at Marina near Clinton, TN – Shanghai Resort, 1042 Shanghai Road, LaFollette TN; phone (423) 562-7651; fax (423) 566-3820.
- Dinner will be provided by the club
Saturday April 8
- 7-8 AM Move trailer to marina, set up dock, unload, rig and row!
- All meals are arranged by chaperones in the kitchen at the marina. Rowers clean up. Basic meals are two large meals daily (brunch and dinner) with snacks in early AM and between meals.
- Social spaces are living room and on top of house boats. Rowers not allowed in other rooms.
- 10 PM Rowers in assigned rooms and 10:30 PM quiet time.
Sunday April 9 – Thursday April 13
- 6:30AM – 3 PM typical day of rowing, team bonding and shenanigans. There will a quiet area for rowers to work on homework.
Field Trip Days & Special Events
Afternoon trip to Hammer’s General Store, Clinton TN. You may want to bring some spending money for Hammer’s.
Friday April 14
- Morning row
- PM Load trailer and U-Haul. Pack breakfasts and lunches for buses on Saturday.
Saturday April 15
- 6AM Depart for Madison, WI
- Lunch on the bus
- 5 PM (estimated) Arrive in Madison